I am not a fan of pine nuts. Almost every pesto recipe calls for pine nuts, and I don’t get the appeal. They are also difficult to find in Spain, so I didn’t bother when I decided to make this dish for dinner the other night. I have a little basil plant on my beautiful balcony, and as the days are getting colder, I figured it was time to snip the leaves and use them in a recipe! PESTO IT IS! TEAM NO PINE NUTS!
This is not really a healthy pesto recipe at all. But it tastes incredible I must say.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup bacon, chopped in tiny pieces
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 white onion, diced
1.5-2 cups parmesan cheese
3 cups fresh spinach leaves, packed
1 cup cheese tortellini
1 cup cream
2 cups basil leaves, packed and then chopped into tiny pieces or ground up via food processor
1/2 cup white wine
Salt & pepper
- Heat olive oil in large pan, add onions and sauté until translucent (I swear every recipe I post starts with this….)
- In another pot, boil water and cook tortellini according to package directions. If you’re making your own tortellini… Godspeed.
- Add bacon bits and garlic, continue until bacon is cooked
- Add spinach and basil, turn heat on low so that they wilt without getting slimy and overcooked
- Add white wine
- Stir in cream, on super low heat
- Remove from heat after 2-3 minutes, stir in parmesan cheese and stir and stir until it’s all melted and blended, toss in your tortellini
- Add salt & pepper to taste, squeeze your lemon wedge, and ENJOY! Preferably with a glass of white wine.
You can definitely leave out the bacon to keep it vegetarian… I just happened to have bacon sitting in my freezer so I went ahead and threw it in for extra deliciousness.