Lentils are an incredible source of protein, iron and other essential nutrients. When they are cooked in just water, however, I think they are incredibly bland and boring. Cooking them in tomato sauce infuses them with tons of flavor and gives the veggie lentil mix a nice stewy texture. I add spicy chorizo for flavor and extra protein, but you can leave it out of this recipe if you want to keep it completely vegan. This recipe makes 2-3 servings, I freeze the leftovers to have them on hand for when I am too busy to cook.
1 cup lentils (any kind you like)
2-3 cups tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup of cooked sweet corn
2 large carrots, chopped up
1 red pepper, sliced up
1 zucchini, cut into small pieces
1 spicy chorizo, sliced up into 1/2 inch round pieces (bite sized)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized sauce pan. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add carrot, zucchini, and red pepper, cook until softened but not not mushy. Add garlic and chorizo.
- Add lentils and stir to coat them in the vegetable water/oil in the pan, be careful not to burn them
- Add tomato sauce to start cooking the lentils. I add it slowly in parts to let the lentils absorb it in between each pour
- Simmer and cook until the lentils are done and all the tomato sauce is absorbed.
- Stir in corn
- Add salt and pepper to taste