This “Mexican” style black bean & mushroom soup is packed with protein and full of flavor, to fill you up and warm you up simultaneously. The recipe I am publishing here is vegan, but to make it more hearty, adding cheese and sour cream to the top to melt into the soup would make for a delicious, creamy variation.
1 cup black beans, soaked overnight
1 medium sized onion, diced
2 cups diced button mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
pinch of salt & shake of black pepper
shake of hot sauce if desired
cilantro garnish if desired
- Rinse the soaked beans and add back to a pot, covering them with water and cooking on medium heat until the beans are soft. It took me about 2 hours to get them to the desired texture.
- Once beans are almost done cooking, heat olive oil and sauté mushrooms and onion in a saucepan. Add minced garlic once they are softened.
- Drain some (but not all) of the excess water from beans, then add the onion and mushroom to the cooked beans. Stir and add cumin and chili powder. Stir in vegetable broth to desired liquid consistency.
- Remove from heat and pulse immersion blender to give soup a creamy consistency and blend up the ingredients.
- Garnish with spoonful of corn, diced avocado, sliced tomato and a squeeze of lime! Enjoy!