Sweet potatoes are a winter vegetable with an astonishingly high nutrient value. This simple side dish is one of my favorites to whip up to accompany whatever I am eating for dinner. It’s so ridiculously easy to make, with ingredients nearly everyone has, and it’s relatively healthy! Sweet potatoes are much healthier than regular potatoes, and this fulfills my mashed potato cravings in a more health-conscious way. They are packed with vitamin A, calcium, vitamin C, fiber, as well as tons of other vitamins and minerals.
Sweet potatoes (for just me I use 2)
Butter (2 tbsp approximately)
Salt (a pinch or more, to taste)
- Peel and cut up sweet potato into smaller chunks, but not too small. About the size of a golf ball or so. Cut out any black parts (see above)
- Boil in water until very soft
- Mash with a fork, add 1-2 pats of butter
- Stir in a bit of salt, and taste to add desired amount.
- VOILA – the easiest, most delicious side dish EVER. I garnish mine with chopped chives to balance the sweetness with a little onion-y punch.
You can modify this recipe to use a vegan butter substitute to make it vegan as well!