Chicken tikka masala is one of my favorite dishes to order at Indian restaurants, but as I am trying to slowly cut back on my animal product intake, I decided to try this twist on it instead. Behold, a vegetarian version, with chickpeas for protein and some broccoli for added healthy points! I enjoyed the final product a lot more than I expected, and would recommend it for anyone looking for a vegetarian version of the dish!
1 cup cooked chick peas
1 tsps of garam masala
1/2 cup natural greek yogurt (unsweetened)
1 head of broccoli, stems chopped off
1 tsp finely grated ginger
1/2 diced white onion
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup whole milk
chopped cilantro to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Sauté onions and broccoli until softened.
- Add garlic, crushed tomatoes, ginger, tomato paste and garam masala to the pan and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce is simmering, add the chick peas. Stir in and cook for another 5 minutes or so on medium heat.
- Turn heat to low and stir in greek yogurt and milk.
- Serve over basmati rice with cilantro as a garnish! Yum!